11.12.2005

My God of Beauty

There's this 6th grade girl in our jr. high group who is wonderful. She's autistic and she's outspoken (alabeit so quietly) and she drools a lot. I love her. She is so innocent and pure and loves people so much. I love her. Did I mention yet I think she's pretty cool?

Well this last Wednesday we broke into small groups to discuss the nooma:Rain video and she was in my group. Halfway thru I was looking at her and seeing the cunck between her teeth, wondering if that was just from today or was it build-up from for some time and wondering why God had created her this. Knowing full well there are no accidents and nothing surprises God I found myself on the verge of being angry with him. This brillant young girl, why?

A few minutes go by and she interupts and asks if she can share something even though it doesn't have to do with the topic. I realize our discussion is already pretty derailed and never coming back so what the heck. She told us that the night before she had become a Christian. It took her a few minutes to get it out. All of the sudden I stopped trying to figure out 1) what the pink was between her teeth and 2) how on earth God could allow this girl to be austic. Why? I saw radiance. All I saw were beautiful blonde curls that girls would kill for and big, bright blue eyes. It hit me all at once. I'll never understand God and his reasons for creating this child of his as he did but I saw a glimpse of who we all are. We are drooling messes but once Christ invades our life we are transformed into something so much more beautiful. We still drool and still have the pink stuff in between our teeth but none of that is remotely as striking as the beauty of Christ in our life, you can't even see it anymore. God truly is amazing.

I've been studying about the imago dei (the image of God) in my theology class. Its so hard to fully describe and understand, this fingerprint of God we all walk around with. Hard to put it into words. But so like God, he didn't use words to convey this truth to me, he used a wonderful young sister of mine and his beauty to reveal to me what the imago dei is...the overshadowing and true beauty that only can exsist in something so pure as God and reflected in his children.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

KRISTIN! yay! you have one of these! gah. miss you dearie. still smiling about that lunch we had. love you much babe, have a GREAT day.

11/12/2005 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home