9.30.2006

Letters

Not much in Mark Driscoll's sermon last week really stuck out at me, save one comment. Letters. Paul wrote to the Corinthians with his own hand. He sent them the letter. Mark started talking about how great it is to recieve a letter. And he went off on some story that I don't remember because I was off in my world.

Capernwrayers do you remember the mad dash to the mailboxes? The pure joy that came from finding something in your box. And the utter disappointment that came from seeing an empty box? I have all my letters from Capernwray. All of them. They are cherished memories.

I thought about that. And I thought about how I don't dash to the mailbox with the same excitment. Usually all it holds are more wedding invitations and bills. No personal letters.

What is the big deal with letters. Why do they make us feel so good? Perhaps its simply because when you recieve a letter you know that person was thinking of you, they care about you. They the took the time to actually sit down and write you a letter. Not just send a quick text while sitting in traffic. They took time to buy a stamp and walk to the mailbox to send it. Not just hit a cut little button on the left side of the screen. They revealed some of themselves that they couldn't in an e-mail, like the fact that they can't spell or they have horrible penmanship. A letter, I've concluded is in fact a beautiful thing and lost.

I want to find it again. Not just in my life, I'd love for ya'll to find it also. So, if you allow me to be so bold, I challenge you to write a letter a week with me. Let the Spirit burden you each week for who you should write to, but find again this lost art. And who knows maybe you'll find yourself dashing to the mailbox :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home